MrB: When you think about it, why would anyone fact-check an article like that? It's a lifestyle/entertainment type article. There's no legit reason that a reporter would hear that story and immediately be concerned that it was fake. For what possible reason would someone fake a story like that?

DLC: A lawsuit against the people behind the hoax is possible I suppose, if they are ever found. But if you're thinking Manti T'eo should be sued, I would ask "for what?" Nobody beside T'eo has been harmed by this whole thing.

If the thought is that he was using this to get Heisman Trophy votes... please, they don't award a Heisman for anything but WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES.

I actually heard some dipshˇt on the radio say he felt like suing because he bet money on Notre Dame in the championship game and believes he was deceived. I'm sitting there listening to this and thinking, what idiot places a bet on a specific team in a football game based on the supposed tragedy of a single player on the team that in no way affects the outcome of the game?

It's no secret that I'm a Notre Dame fan, and I loved watching Manti T'eo play. But I'm waiting to see how this all plays out before making any judgement on it. I don't see what he would have to gain by making this entire thing up himself.