Originally Posted By: steveg
So I ask again, who gives a sh!t what kind of guns were used? And I ask, how or why did this person have access to them? Are you beginning to acknowledge the problem yet?
The problem is that there are so many guns out there now how do we get them all back? It is estimated that there are around 300,000,000 guns owned by private citizens. There are more than 129,817 federally licensed firearms dealers in the United States. That train has long left the station, it's the main line of what the country was founded on, but we do need to enforce the laws we have, get rid of the gun show loophole, tighten restrictions on owning guns, limit clip size. I see no problem with private gun ownership if done right.

It's not just gun ownership, we are a violent country. This is compared to the other OECD countries. Although if you look at the graph the number of assault deaths here per 100,000 of population is almost half of what it was at its peak in the late 70s. Thanks to these intertubes we don't miss anything anymore so it seems like we are becoming more violent, also the population has increased by a third or so since then.

Of course, there's this side of the coin.