Quote:
Obama has in effect given the republicans a victory.

Which is better: Suffering potentially damaging impacts to the economy and to millions of citizens in the name of scoring a political "victory," or working with what you have in order to prevent such impacts? I submit it's the job of the President to follow the latter course ...

Part of the problem with having to deal with a legislative contingent that completely jettisons any concept of governmental responsibility is that the other side often has to fall on their swords to responsibly do their jobs and protect citizens from the fallout of such intransigence.

In some circles, this is called "caving." But the alternative would be to essentially join hands with that irresponsible faction and let things start falling apart, just so you could blame them for the fallout ... And I think we'd all agree that any President who intentionally allowed markets to crash, the economy to tank, and millions of citizens to suffer -- even for "just a few weeks" -- just so his political opponents would get the blame, would be grossly (if not criminally) negligent.

So I think that all the rhetoric about "caving" and "giving the Republicans a victory" is just a way of trying to deal with the fact that when dealing with children, adults often have to act like adults and don't have the luxury of behaving like stubborn little brats too ...