Quote:
Might we get sold out?

Only if you think that compromise = "selling out" ...

Quote:
But I can't help thinking that after all their progress, the Dems have once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Personally, I don't care about the Democrats or wether they "win" or not -- negotiation and compromise involves giving a bit on your opening offer. If the Dems had wanted to end-up at $250,000, they should have opened with a lower number. But they didn't, and it's unrealistic to assume their opening number was going to stand.

As it is, the Republicans gave in on raising taxes at all in return for the Dems giving in on the income level that gets taxed -- that give and take is kind of the way things are supposed to work.

Besides, $400,000 is what they were offering Boehner before he stomped away from the table anyways, so I guess I don't see where this deal (as much as we know about it) is any worse ...

[edit]

Here's one explanation of the White House's strategy:
"And so, the idea is that itís better to lock in a deal on rates now, at, say, $450,000, extend unemployment benefits, and pocket those gains and continue the fight next year. Raising the income threshold is obviously not desirable, but Dems will have broken the decades-long GOP opposition to raising tax rates on the rich, pocketed hundreds of billions in revenues, made the tax code more progressive, and extended unemployment benefits ó all without agreeing to any spending cuts yet."

"But itís worth at least entertaining the possibility that the current posture the White House and Dems have adopted may be guided by an actual overarching strategy and game plan, and represents more than just a feckless cave, as many are suggesting."

Also, it looks like the Republicans are crying like stuck pigs, so that's probably a "good" sign, no? ;-)

[/edit]

Edited by six_of_one (12/31/12 11:47 AM)