It never ceases to amaze me that some Republicans, of all people, fail to recognize that as long as there is a viable market, there *will* be businesses to satisfy the needs of that market; that taking money out of the hands of consumers (the market) is more likely to impact an economy than marginally increasing taxes on the business side of things. So yeah, Mr. Boehner, it does matter from where you get the revenues.

And that's just the dollars and cents view, never mind if you have any humanity in you at all =P

----

Also, here's what bugs me about this whole "small businesses" being forced to lay people off or close entirely if we raise taxes:

Let's say you have a business that is taxed on $300,000 per year.

If taxes are raised on everything over $250,000, that means $50,000 of the $300,000 qualifies for the higher rate.

Let's say you're currently taxed 15% ... on that $50,000 -- that's $7,500.

Assume the rate goes up 5% to 20% only on that $50,000 -- that's now an even $10,000, a difference of $2,500.

Here's my issue: If paying an additional $2,500 on a $300,000 business is going to cause you to fire people or close down entirely, the problem there isn't the higher tax.

And remember, that's $300,000 *taxable* income, which means you've grossed even more and this is what's left after deducting business expenses and whatnot. If you're on the edge, laying off people and crippling the economy by clearing (after taxes) $252,500 instead of $255,000 ... again, the problem isn't with the higher tax rate.

Of course, this is a fairly simplistic example. But then, most of the arguments coming from the Republicans these days (and, to be fair, the Dems as well) are equally simplistic if not more so. So I think the simplisticness(?) (simplisticity?) is appropriate ;-)