Hey!

So of course I put on my Early Adopter Goggles™ this morning and started through the pre-order process for the new iPhone. One of the main reasons I'm considering getting it is that the 4S is supposed to be a World phone -- it can use both GSM and CDMA networks. Which means flexibility in providers -- just requires a sim card swap, right? So imagine my confusion when reading this footnote:

"CDMA available only if iPhone 4S is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."

erm -- nokay ...

Then this when checking-out the unlocked, full-boat (up to ~$800!) pricing:

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

Say what??

I'm going to have to pay a visit to the local Apple store and find out what the deal is, since now I don't know if one would have to sign-up with the likes of Verizon when first purchasing the phone in order to "unlock" the CDMA capabilities? And so sorry if you want that unlocked phone to work with anybody but AT&T in the US. This really is a little confusing given what we've been told and what I've been reading before this ...

What am I missing?