Sorry more blather: yeah, after the earthquake, phones were out at first and then to busy to use. If I hadn't got off work that day, my son would have spent the night alone because all trains stopped and there was unprecedented gridlock as people tried to take taxis home. My train was coming into a station just as the earthquake hit. I was lucky it was coming into the station or I would have been trapped in a train car for a few hours. I was about two stations from home and I knew the way. We (because everyone on the train and everywhere suddenly starts talking to everyone else as if they weren't perfect strangers)decided the trains wouldn't move for a while, so many of us decided to walk. We would learn later most trains would not move again until the next day. A family from Osaka coming to Tokyo to visit their son for a wedding got off with me and I walked them to their station. During the walk, the second big one hit. I have heard reports that that one was actually bigger (I lost interest in finding out after the nuke plants serious problems came to light). Tokyo was pretty far from the epicenter, but the sensation I remember the most is that suddenly the whole world felt rubbery. This was amplified by being surrounded by high buildings during their rubbery dance.

When I got home I found my son waiting for me. In terms of immediate damage, the only real thing was our TV fell face first. No broken glass, but it wouldn't turn on. Nothing anywhere near to what the people up north are and were going through. My son and I went out the next day to buy/order a new TV. He was excited we were finally getting an HD TV. Ironically, it was delivered a day earlier than scheduled in all these circumstances. Ironic when you would walk out the door and see people quickly (not frantically) buying up essentials, and you think about the conditions people in the north are living in - and your new TV comes early.