Originally Posted By: polymerase
Originally Posted By: ChrisN
[
It is absurd that big oil would be loving this story. Big oil concerns doing business in the Gulf are in the process of losing millions, maybe billions of dollars due to negligence on this rig and the now de facto moratorium. In fact, the opposite is true.

You misrepresent what I think big oil is all jiggy about. Sure big oil would like no huge catastrophes as the Deep Water Horizon but once the inevitable happens there is containment. On the sea and in the news.

The story is: BP is at fault possibly a couple of middle managers freaked that their decisions could cost their boss a bonus, end of story.

You are correct that big oil would love this story. But stuff happens. Then they love the deflection that is occurring.

It is all BP's fault. End of story. Let's move on and drill deeper shall we? That is your story. I think it has as much credibility as Saddam's WMD so I am going to wait a tad.

Ok, I get what you're saying now.

But, I don't think what I'm saying is that we should get right back to deep water drilling. One of the biggest problems is that the pseudo-scientific cookie cutter cleanup plans sold to MMS to keep everybody happy that all parties signed off on have now been proven totally inadequate. Also, BOPs do not always properly prevent blow outs. What I have maintained all along was that if things had been done safely and properly on the rig we would not have this mess. BOPs are needed when everything else fails. Cleanup plans are only needed when everything fails. We all know the human factor will strike again. It is amazing that this has not happened more often.

So, the industry has some issues to address before resuming, imho. This quote from an experienced oil industry expert says it so much better than I can I will not try to paraphrase, rather will quote directly from a website I frequent:
---
"That's why I have to point a dirty finger at my own industry. BP et al have said they had considered the "worse case scenario". First, a simple fact: BOP fail about half the time. Period...that's the record. Second, wells blow out. Not that often but it does happen. Third, anyone ever develop a plan to deal with a failed BOP in 5,000' of water? No one has jumped up yet saying they did. So what's the obvious WCS: a failed BOP on a blow out in 5,000' of water. Didn't take much effort to figure that out, did it? Obviously every DW operator know what the WCS is now. So how many can stand in front of camera today and say they are ready to deal with the WCS? They may do everything human possible to reduce the risk of a blow out. But if it does happen at such a water depth they will be just as screwed as BP. Canít argue differently."
---

Can't really be much more clear and honest than that. Even some folks who make their living from the oil industry who are honest enough to look at this issue realistically have doubts about resuming deep water drilling without major changes to regs, equipment and worst case scenarios. Honest big oil execs should sit up and take notice.

Cameron is probably redesigning their BOPs as we speak. Big oil is probably redrawing their designs and looking at all aspects and safety and cleanup. Our govt response will be endlessly evaluated, as it should be. The responsible parties acted as if this would never happen, but it did and likely will again.

Should we deep water drill again? Like I said before, it probably depends on who you ask as to what answer you get. To be honest, I'm not sure what my answer is. Maybe, if there are better contingency plans based on more realistic worst case scenarios and there is better safety equipment. Maybe.

People still have their thirst for oil, companies for their profits. We know the oil is there. Meanwhile nuclear power usage is declining. This disaster is a symptom of a larger problem.

Chris