Originally Posted By: polymerase
Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter

Well keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night, but that's not exactly the story I interpret.

But how do you come by this expert opinion? Oh, right, you read the internet. You are making my point. Everything else you say in the thread is completely true and completely irrelevant.

We are so certain of things because the media and big business tells us so. A freak accident, lets get back and drill deep. How is this any different than the 99.5% certainty of WMD and the point five was ridiculed. Sometimes the half percent are right. Sometimes big oil is looking out for their interests so they very much want it to be a freak accident. Is that too absurd that Samson oil, Haliburton and the rest of big oil is loving this story and getting out there and cheering. I am not saying they wrote the story but they sure do love it. BP is wrong all by itself in fact it was all Tony's fault and one middle manager on the rig. Hang them and then lets get on with business.

I think I will wait until the facts are known before I swallow your expert opinion. Someday you might actually get one right. This one could be your lucky day.

It is absurd that big oil would be loving this story. Big oil concerns doing business in the Gulf are in the process of losing millions, maybe billions of dollars due to negligence on this rig and the now de facto moratorium. In fact, the opposite is true. The rest of the oil industry is livid about this incident and the pall it has cast on their industry as a whole. Not to mention how they feel about the loss of 11 lives of guys in their industry. Even if there is no love lost for BP, the crippling effect has now spread to evry company doing business in the Gulf and all the citizens along the Gulf Coast whose business also depends on the oil industry directly or indirectly.

btw, As far as I could find out by researching it myself, Samson has no business interest in the Gulf. Their critical analysis came from the POV of oil guys who try to do things safely. All I could find was onshore iterests, not off shore for Samson. And, their analysis was not an MSM story, again, afaik. I posted it here after finding it on an oil related website. The reason I posted it was because so many oilfield professionals have questioned what happened on the rig and how could so many warnings could be missed. That piece was the most concise synopsis available at the time. Normal, accepted safe practices could have prevented this disaster. It was not a freak occurrence. Many wells kick, most do not blow.

My reason for interest in these threads is not to villify BP or to exonerate any other company. Just to seek the truth of what really happened. I spent over 20 years as a supplier of safety equipment to oilfield companies in our locale and have a bit of knowledge about how they operate and an interest to learn more.

BP has made themselves an easy target by their reputation for cost cutting and previous known safety problems. If they had the corporate culture that Getty Oil had towards safety they would probably be receiving more benefit of the doubt now.

I am still awaiting more facts and testimony as to what happened before a final decision of negligence or blame for this incident can be logically or legally made. This is what I told km in a previous post:
"If there was negligence, will it be shared? If BP wanted TransOcean to do something potentially unsafe and TO went along with it, who is to blame? If BP wanted TO to proceed and TO did not have all the information to know that proceeding was unsafe, then who is to blame? This is a complex case, my opinions are only my opinions and don't mean squat. My opinions, such as they are, are based on the experience of industry people whose judgement I trust, but I will keep an open mind as more details and evidence comes out. Nobody knows how the legal wrangling will turn out for sure and it is likely to be going on for many years."

I'm not sure what is right or wrong with regards to deep water drilling. It probably depends on the POV of whomever you would speak with about it. As we have discussed before, the human error factor seems to rear its ugly head everywhere...

Chris