For anyone who's interested, here's an update on my project. I'll continue posting them here as I get around to it.

Although I'm taking lots of photos, I don't plan on posting any here. If this project is successful, I will be producing a PDF guide of the entire project with lots of hi-rez photos. When it's finished and if MacMod is interested, I'm going to make it available to them with the hope they will host it for other MacMod members to download.

The project so far.

Monitor is removed.

The user installed ram (512MB) and AP card are out and bagged.

The case has been opened and all cables disconnected, but not without some difficulty. Not with opening the case, although a couple of the screws were quite a bit tighter than I expected. When its time to put the case back together, I may have to pick up a torque wrench to tighten them properly.

The problem at this stage was with disconnecting some cables. The HD and SuperDrive connectors came apart easily enough, as did the grounding screw and AP antenna cable. The antenna cable screws together as does a Bluetooth connector which is present, although there is no BT card installed. I guess Apple installed the BT antennas and connectors as a matter of course for the production of these models. Like the AP antenna, the BT antenna runs between the plastic outer shell and internal metal housing.

The Power Supply connector was a bit snug, but eventually came apart. There is a single connector with two side flexible hooks for the inverter, speaker and fan. This one was a bit reluctant and it appears I've severely twisted one of the side hooks. However I don't think it will be a problem.

The worst was the TMDS video connector. The Apple take apart manual doesn't reveal just how this connector is... "connected." Visually, I couldn't tell if the cable slid into the side of what looked like a connection, or if this connection was the connector and simply pulled apart like the others. After tugging a bit here and there, I finally decided to just pull upwards on this connector. Turns out this connector is a plastic cover over the actual TMDS connector, which is metal. The "plastic cover" is a just shield held down to the MOBO with two really tiny adhesive pads, which are what made removing the connector so hard.

Yes... I realize I am so lucky it worked out that way. Whew!

I'm writing this during a break. After getting the case apart to this point, there was so much dust inside I decided to run out for a can of compressed air before proceeding any further.

Next up: Severe dusting, remove HD, optical drive, and monitor arm. I'm still looking for a "handle." I thinking of an automotive T-shift. Any suggestions?