Well, it's been a while since I've really posted anything of consequence, but I suppose it had to come sometime, right?

So, I've been using the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speaker system since late last spring, and it's damned awesome. Of course, since it's an analog speaker system, I have to use an external sound card. I have been using the Griffin FireWave, and it has performed just fine, mostly, although it seems that there is a problem with the device, it's FireWire cable (gonna check it), or the amplifier in the subwoofer (I hope not, but it has a history of overheating) such that I will get 0.5-1 second gaps in audio output every so often (seems to be random). But that's not what I'm here to ask about.

I have tried time and time again to configure 6 channel stereo output using Apple's Audio MIDI Setup Utility, but each attempt (which has been largely the same as the last and not well informed) has been unsuccessful. The FireWave's configuration application only supports stereo (2.1, really), Dolby Digital 5.1, and all modes of Dolby ProLogic II (plus volume and delay adjustment etc.). The speakers themselves only support 3 1/8" plugs (for 5.1) or one 1/8" plug (for 2.1, and it's a separate auxiliary input on the front of the control box). But I really want to set them up in a 6 channel stereo configuration, with the rights and lefts both pumping out their respective channels at the same volume, the center channel pumping out a mix of both, and the subwoofer booming out the bass.

Anybody know how to do that? It should be simple, but it's not straightforward, at least, not to me.

Current:
- "ProBook:" 15.4" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
- Mac Classic II
- Old PowerBook

Moved On:
- "The Book of Power:" 12.1" PowerBook G4 Aluminum 1.33 GHz
- Purple iMac