The reason why DOS is preferred over windows for flashing hardware is because in DOS all you have running is the kernel and the flasher. Windows has all sorts of files loaded into memory and if something goes wrong like say a conflicting chunk of software can interfere with the flasher and end up inside the EPROM instead  of the ROM/BIOS/Firmware you wanted. I always flash my hardware in DOS. I tried it once before in windows and it crashed the BIOS when I was updating it. I was lucky though since my motherboard at the time had dual BIOS. Just rebooted and the second BIOS took over and went into the BIOS restore option.

Anyway, I find it neat how something old can still be very useful. I thought I had to locate some special drivers for my SATA to work for the flasher in DOS. DOS it self didn't have support but the flasher is made to scan the BIOS for IRQ and I/O that most SATA controllers use.

Funnything is I still have a DOS box that is used for classic games and it's even on my network. For a while there I use to slipstream drivers for newer 10/100 nics to work in MS network client for DOS for people that wanted to setup their systems to do a network install of Windows.