alright, i figure it's time for an update.  the rubber feet didn't last long, and neither did the business cards, so i decided to buckel down and try the suggested X-treme tealight fix (thanks MacJunky!).  in case you're wondering...here's what i did:

1) heated up 4 tealights until the wax was melted, and then pulled out the wick from 3 of them and put them in the 4th tealight.  i then emptied about half the wax out of the new uber-tealight so it's half full (or half empty...)
2) took apart my ibook so it's bottom was completely exposed, including the yellow foamy stuff over the graphics card, and set it upside down, screen open, on a flattened, empty cereal box, over the edge of a desk.
3) lit three of of the 4 wicks in the uber-tealight and fired up the ibook to produce extra heat.
4) sat back and waited for the fan to turn on.

once the fan turned on i left the tealights burning for as long as i could bear.  by this point, the three flames had combined into one big flame, which was jumping in the tealight tin container.  i just grabbed the tealight with a set of pliers and blew it out and threw it in a sink (it's VERY HOT).  then i shut the book off, let it cool down (still upside down), and put it back together. 

the good news is that i didn't not fix it!  it's been working since then, but i'm a little hesitant to leave it on too long, so the solder doesn't re-melt itself.  if anyone knows of a good program or hack that will allow you to control the fan in an ibook G3, please let me know!  I've found "Fan Control", but that doesn't work on the ibook.

Thanks again for your suggestions, and if you have any questions, i'll try to answer them!