so, i decided to try the famed "jam something between the metal shielding and plastic bottom cover directly above the GPU" trick, and lo and behold, it worked! I ended up using some polyeurethane surface savers...aka feet for miscellaneous stuff. my only worry is that the heat from the GPU might melt them if it gets too hot. I have a few left over, so i'm going to put 'em in the toaster oven and see how much heat they can take.
Thanks for your replies, and i'm hoping this fix will last me the next 4 months till i'm done school, then i'm going to retire it and do something really crazy with it.
I'm still open to fun mod ideas as a hobby project though, i'm all about creativity!
Xplain's use of MacNews, AppleCentral and AppleExpo are not affiliated with Apple, Inc. MacTech is a registered trademark of Xplain Corporation. AppleCentral, MacNews, Xplain, "The journal of Apple technology", Apple Expo, Explain It, MacDev, MacDev-1, THINK Reference, NetProfessional, MacTech Central, MacTech Domains, MacForge, and the MacTutorMan are trademarks or service marks of Xplain Corp. Sprocket is a registered trademark of eSprocket Corp. Other trademarks and copyrights appearing in this printing or software remain the property of their respective holders.
All contents are Copyright 1984-2010 by Xplain Corporation. All rights reserved. Theme designed by Icreon.