use "ditto" instead of "cp" for your command if you are going to use the shell for scripting.  Ditto takes all the fie forks so the files are actually usable when they are copied.

I'm not sure how you could tell a machine to "wake" unless you use the "wake for ethernet network administrator access".  I imagine that is based on the Remote Desktop port for the waking.  Hey here's an idea, I'd say it may be easier than anything else.  All times are fictitious, but you'll get the idea.  If you server goes to sleep, stop doing that. (Don't forget that your computer runs performance cron jobs while you are sleeping on a daily, weekly and monthly basis).  Then use this idea...

At 0300 have each machine make a disk image of the user's home folder.  Compress it.  Send it to the server, with the IP or user's name (if they are unique).  This would allow for all computers to be backing up at the same time and writing to the server at the same time.  I believe this is a reverse answer to your  problem, but appears to be one that could be scaled to any number of machines....

I'll try making a script for it, if I am successful, I will post it.

chris