The power leads in an MDD PowerMac (like for the hard drives and optical drives) supply 12V, right? If fans use 3V, could you take a 4-pin to 4-pin Y splitter, connect it to 2 4-pin to 3-pin Y splitters and get 4 fans off of one lead, or would this be unwise?

I FINALLY ordered stuff to work on my machine, but if there's room, power wise, to add more I'll do so. I expect to have all the parts by the 8th, and then I'll be working on it that weekend. So, I'll clean the case, take photos the whole way through. Since I'm going to do the work at my parents' place I can use my dad's amazing digital camera.

FYI: I ended up getting a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) from Newegg. It was out of box, so I'm going to slap it in someone else's PC to see if it works OK. If it has a 128k ROM (and how I hope it does), I'll get to use all 256MB of DDR memory on the thing. Otherwise, it'll only function as a 128MB card until I replace the EEPROM. Which really makes me wonder what's so special about those EEPROMs that no one seems to think it's possible to just go buy some generic, blank 128k chip (they must only come in a couple of sizes - rectangular or square) and flash it. Do EEPROMs get formatted like hard drives do? I guess I just don't know enough about 'em. I also ordered 2x1GB memory modules. I've never heard of the brand but it had plenty of positive reviews and really good timings, plus they come equipped with heat spreaders. Since I'm going to be acquiring another MDD soon (for $300!), I can put the RAM currently in my Dual 867 into the "new" machine. The fans, cables, thermal compound, sound dampening pads (for one part of the case) and chip heatsinks I ordered from SCV.com.