So, considering I can get a non-Mac 4x/8x AGP ATI Radeon X850 graphics card for the same cost as a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (how sad), I have only one, multi-part question:

1a) Since it seems possible to use a Mac to do flashing, how is it that one installs a non-Mac-ROM-including graphics card in order to flash it?
1b) Does it work at its most basic functionality in that it can still run a display?
1c) Or, would you need to install, say, some old PCI graphics card (which I fortunately have access to) in order to drive a monitor until the new card is flashed?

I stumbled across a lot of information that I had a bit of trouble sorting through on a site called Strange Dogs where they have a forum that, for some reason, includes info on flashing video cards, especially for Macs. I could not devise a solid answer on whether or not a card's DVI ports were functional after flashing or whether or not you could actually flash a card via a Mac (and, yes, there is software for it, so far as I could tell, and numerous links to ROMs).

Oh, and just to be clear, I know about the pin taping (3 and 11, which ties into a funny story about why Apple stopped with the whole ADC port thing), and making sure the card actually functions in an AGP 4x slot and is not a larger, AGP Pro type card.

I found the X850 on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $219. I could probably do even better than that. Ah, I'm also aware of the need to avoid cards with enormous heatsinks and/or fans as they may not fit into certain PowerMacs (such as my MDD).

PS: I ordered 2GB of PC2700 DDR RAM (184-pin, CL 2.5, Crucial brand) since it'll work even with the slower bus speed wanting PC2100 RAM. But, this way, after I get around to doing my over clocking, I'll have the faster RAM already!

Oh, and thanks in advance for any info, guys (and gals?).