So, considering I can get a non-Mac 4x/8x AGP ATI Radeon X850 graphics card for the same cost as a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (how sad), I have only one, multi-part question:

1a) Since it seems possible to use a Mac to do flashing, how is it that one installs a non-Mac-ROM-including graphics card in order to flash it?
1b) Does it work at its most basic functionality in that it can still run a display?
1c) Or, would you need to install, say, some old PCI graphics card (which I fortunately have access to) in order to drive a monitor until the new card is flashed?

I stumbled across a lot of information that I had a bit of trouble sorting through on a site called Strange Dogs where they have a forum that, for some reason, includes info on flashing video cards, especially for Macs. I could not devise a solid answer on whether or not a card's DVI ports were functional after flashing or whether or not you could actually flash a card via a Mac (and, yes, there is software for it, so far as I could tell, and numerous links to ROMs).

Oh, and just to be clear, I know about the pin taping (3 and 11, which ties into a funny story about why Apple stopped with the whole ADC port thing), and making sure the card actually functions in an AGP 4x slot and is not a larger, AGP Pro type card.

I found the X850 on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $219. I could probably do even better than that. Ah, I'm also aware of the need to avoid cards with enormous heatsinks and/or fans as they may not fit into certain PowerMacs (such as my MDD).

PS: I ordered 2GB of PC2700 DDR RAM (184-pin, CL 2.5, Crucial brand) since it'll work even with the slower bus speed wanting PC2100 RAM. But, this way, after I get around to doing my over clocking, I'll have the faster RAM already!

Oh, and thanks in advance for any info, guys (and gals?).
DP 1.08GHz PMG4 MDD, 1GB PC2700 DDR, 200GB ATA (16MB, 7200RPM), Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB)