I got KDE running on my mini. I didn't bother doing it before because i screwed up X11 a long time ago, and for some reason just didn't bother using Fink to grab a different copy of it. Luckly that guide from AppleTalk Australia on installing KDE had a pretty clear guide about installing Xfree86. I'm actually a bit ticked because the whole guide was simple and was thinking about making one, but I digress.

Anyways, the guide is pretty clear, but they don't mention that if you had a prior version of X11 on your machine, the XAuthority (in your User/yourname folder) is probably still set for the other version of X11.

What happens is that the X11 server will crash when trying to load OR just hangs up because you will be getting this error, or something similar:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Pretty annoying, huh? Well, here is the fix that was also neglected to be mentioined:

cd
rm .Xauthority
touch .Xauthority

I caught the error in a few seconds, but realized that a lot of people would just give up at this point, and it's not a hard fix. Some other things I wanted to mention is that the compiles took just over an hour on my 1.42ghz Mac mini with 1gb of RAM. Maybe three if I still had a 256mb stick. The author of the original article deffinitly has a messed up computer that should be looked due to his statement, "I recommend you run OSX 10.4 or later and have at least a dual processor G4 to compile things at decent speed (even with my Dual 1.25 G4 it took me close to 8 hours to compile KDE and Xfree86 from source)". Dude, if you are reading this, please get it fixed. Sounds like my mini can school your machine, and thats not good.

Oh, I typed this post in Konqueror on my mini w/ iTunes playing in the background, FireFox, three finder windows, a few terminal shells, and that iBrainEater App Brenn did a great review of. No lag at all, and I swear pages load faster in KDE's Konqueror than FireFox.