Yup anil, hardware controls on the Dell 1905FP are pretty limited - even on a windows machine rotation of the desktop image is handled by software (nvRotate for example).

The Dell LCDs aren't sophisticated enough to monitor the angle of the housing and adjust the desktop 270 or 90 deg. B) Essentially with certain ATI cards (Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Ed, newer PCI-ex cards, the vid processor in mac minis, etc) the rotate button is just there.

(Here's where my noobness wil show in a sec)

oojacoboo:

I tried looking at the preference pane itself with vi - which didn't work out very well, but amongst the gibberish I did see something along the lines of GeometryPane@@geom@@NoAdjustment01@@NoAdjustment02@@NoGeometry@@@@@

Or something like that. Basically I think that is what to crack open - but I'm completely at a loss as to how. Like a dummy I tried just deleting the NoAdjustment and NoGeometry lines - which just resulted in a message that the display pref couldn't be opened. I guess this is one of those "needs to be compiled" type of things.

Since it seems I'm going in something resembling the right directions I'll go ahead and shoo myself off to the faqs and other associated help-like posts before I go asking anymore questions. whistle
Thanks for the tip though. Good to know I was at least trying to fiddle with the right thing.