So I came into possesion of a pair of G3 iMacs this last week. Sweet, they're kind of funky machines, maybe not the most powerful, but for around the house... and they were free. How can you argue with that?

So here's the problem - only one of them (the Indigo one) is booting right now. I updated firmware, put a 40gig drive in it and partitioned it for two installs: 9.2, and 10.3 (just cloned my laptop system over using Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner - totally great). Sweet. It all works fine. Even swapped out the original optical drive (just a CD-ROM) with the Graphite one that isn't working (which is a CD-RW). Everything is going great, except I can't get the VGA out to work. I connect my old PC monitor to it, turn it on, and nothing. It goes into it's little "check cable" thing that CTRs do when they aren't connected. Anyone know anything about this? Is the VGA out just shot, or is it something to be repaired? This is a 400MHz iMac, Summer 2000 I think.

As for the other one, it gives me the three beeps - meaning (to the best of my knowledge after Googling and digging around) "No RAM banks passed memory testing", or something similar. Any idea as to what I can do to get this one running too? It's a Graphite 600 MHz machine, early 2001, best as I can tell. I know it's not bad RAM, since the RAM cards I tried in it all work just fine in the other iMac, as well as my HP SuSE/XP machine. I'd love to get this one working too, since it's obviously a bit faster, and one of them will go to a buddy of mine (to replace his Win98 Dell that's dying - needs a total re-install and was recently dropped about 3 feet onto asphalt... it's not doing so good) if I get them both running.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jias

http://addsomesoul.blogspot.com/