Hey Mackie,

I researched this a bit several months back. A lot of guitars are finished with many coats of a cellulose based laquer. thats what gives our guitars that super deep shine. However, its pretty rock hard stuff. A lot of the cellulose laquers dont flex well, if at all, and are very tempermental when it comes to temperature. Heat them and cool them too much, and they become brittle, and can develop spiderweb cracks. So, its not really ideal for painting computers.

If you want to get pretty damned close to that super deep shine, its a matter of priming your surface, shooting a highly reflective white or silver base color, and then put down several coats of a transparent or candy color. By several, I mean between 6 and 10 coats. Once you've done that, its a matter of putting down a good clear coat. You can get relatively decent results if you're good with an aerosol can. But to go the full distance, either invest in a spraying setup (compressor and a touch-up gun) or lay down your paint, and then call local auto shops and see if they'll hit your stuff with a two part clear coat for cheap.

Finally, in order to get the shine, you gotta polish your stuff. wet sand the clear at increasing grade sand papers, upwards of400 -1000 grit. Then, a polishing compound. Then teflon and carnuba waxes to bring out the clarity and the shine.

Heh, thats a bunch of info, sorry for the lesson. But, thats what I go through when I paint a computer for a customer :P