I have done it. When you have a lot of mac parts, and no one coming into a repair store (supprise supprise - guess they don't break), you can get bored real fast. I saw my desktop at work get sold one day and needed to put something together fast. Dropped a beige G3 mobo into an ATX case, literally hot glued and duct taped the power supply in, and sawed off the I/O cover on the back so I could plug things into it. To be honest, looked like hell. But it worked. The board was sold the next week.

Well, my first tip is to find a logic board from a DECENT vendor. Make sure you can return the board if it comes bad. I've seen it happen too many times. You would be supprised how many bad logic boards Apple sends out to the repair stores. Also, get the coresponding power supply. You will waste so much time and effort trying to mod a power supply to do what you want, it is easier just to buy the one that was made for the board. Heat sinks - don't worry about that, unless you are going to overclock. The chasis itself is going to be entirely up to you. There are great tutorials on how to get a mobo into a ATX form factor case. Make your own case if you have to. But buy the coresponding P/S for the logic board you choose. That is my best advice.

If MacResQ has a board available for what you need, Kyle in the resale dept. is pretty cool. He is a tome when it comes to stuff like this.

I edited it because I felt like I should add some more content to this post, as opposed to another post. Spamming - meh. Not neccessary.

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2004/08/07 04:55