Quote:
Your response provides no evidence either that those involved thought they "knew everything"...

They thought they could bypass natural selection without harmful consequences. Obviously the expression was not meant to be taken literally.

Quote:
nor that the procedure is a failure.

Well, it's a failure if you accept the conclusions of the National Birth Defects Prevention Study that "birth defects occur more often among infants conceived with ART" than by natural selection. That inevitability is why quite a few of told 'em not to go down that road in the first place.

Quote:
... your opinion. I doubt the vast majority (i.e. those 96.5%-ish with perfectly healthy babies who would otherwise have none) would agree.

Nor would the others who just want to speed up conception. The whole business is about putting their personal interests above everyone else's at whatever public expense so they obviously wouldn't agree to an objective viewpoint that differed from their selfish one.

Quote:
it would be good if you'd provide some evidence that any public funds provided for this procedure are being diverted from other projects involving health care for children

Maybe it would be good but it's not my point. Whatever funds are being applied to IVF and its fallout should be diverted to helping people already afflicted by pain and suffering.

km