It's possible I may have asked this before, but this is with renewed enthusiasm and some spare time...

Getting back in to weaving, I was looking for mac apps to experiment with weaving patterns - there's only one, and it's ridiculously expensive and intended for running industrial-size patterns. Trying out the available/affordable winxx apps, they're basically pretty crap, and I think I could make a much more usable app on the mac.

The problem is, I've never written an app before, never coded in cocoa or whatever, and don't really know where to start. Can anyone suggest good books/resources for someone starting from scratch writing a cocoa app that uses quite a lot of (probably fairly simple) graphics? the basic idea of the app is to create a graphical matrix that shows what a particular tie-up and treadling sequence with particular warp/weft colours will look like as a cloth. Here's an example of a cheap/bad winxx app trying to it (sorry about this):

I'm not completely new to coding, I've written a lot of code in a proprietary sort of BASIC that belonged in a pre-windows 4G database app called Advanced Revelation, and I've done some Fox BASIC and some fairly intricate LISP (also for a GUI app).

I assume that having leopard, I already have the xcode development kit on my DVD (though I'll need to d/l an up-to-date version) - but for me it'll be like wandering around the LHC without a map...

(Actually, I find myself wondering whether there's any mileage in considering developing it in webkit form - would that be terribly slow for large arrays?)

- padmavyuha