Modernism vs. Postmodernism<br><br>While modernism tried to establish order in a chaotic world, postmodernism tries to live within the chaos, and work within this condition.<br><br>Thatís a bit simplistic, but weíve been watching the battle between these two world views being played out over the last several years and even more this election cycle with the repeated references to ďsmall town America.Ē<br><br>I had it explained at a church seminar two years ago as told through personal experience by Diana Butler Bass (Wikipedia). She stated that she was raised with a modern world view which was formed within a couple of miles from her home. Her values and morals were determined by people and institutions located within that small area and they were consistent from one source to another. (She also contrasted this with the pre-modern Feudal and tribal world views). That is where my grounding lies as well. On the other hand, the younger generation has adopted a postmodern world view, one that acquires information from many diverse sources and opinions from near and far and assembles that information into their own values and morals. Since I have a grounding in the modern world view and the ability to navigate the postmodern and use its methods to gather information, Iím living with both world views quite comfortably (as well as most of us here).<br><br>That said, in watching and listening to the Republican Partyís positions, I can come to the conclusion that they are not at all comfortable with the postmodern nor do they want to be. They want us to be stranded in the modern view. The Democrats, specifically the Obama campaign, have utilized the postmodern view and methods to raise a groundswell of individual support and principles. It is a battle between those who wish to look back (and remain there) and those forging ahead. The question in this presidential campaign is one of world view perspective. Iím voting (already did) for the postmodern approach.<br><br>