A little late in responding to this thread, but it's been on my mind for a few days and I wanted to weigh in....<br><br>Eck-- the experience you had in the car with Katrina has made me wonder: do you see a consistent difference between CDs and compressed music, or was that experience and isolated one? <br><br>320 kbs is awfully high by most peoples standards and I'm shocked to hear that you and she were able to perceive that much of a difference-- most particularly in an automobile. What kind of audio system do you have in you vehicle?<br><br>This issue is a really big deal to me for over the past seven years or so I've spent and inordinate amount of time not only collecting, but meticulously cataloging an iTunes library of about seven thousand songs. Most of what I have is 128-160 AAC, but the acquisition of an Apple TV in conjunction with these speakers and this subwoofer has caused me to rethink everything. Over the past few months I've begun the long arduous task of re-encodeing (and re-cataloging) my collection at 256 AAC. The new sound system has been a revelatory experience relative to the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks + Mac that had sufficed as my primary sound system before. <br><br>Now ya got me wondering... should I give a higher bitrate a try?<br><br>Last night while on my comute home from work I was listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon for the first time in years (it still holds up fwiw). It occurred to me then that I should give the CD as listen on the new stereo. I actually haven't listened to a CD in years!<br><br>Acumowcheck-- learn form my mistakes! You may be encoding now for an iPod touch... but who knows what you may be listening to those files on in the future! I now need to buy a new hard disk for my MBP to cover all the extra space taken by the larger tunes. But it's an expense I'm willing to swallow. Nietsche said that without music, life would be a mistake. He was dead on. <br><br>