Week before last my wife and I went to visit some friends who live just outside State College, PA. The location isn't important, but the fact that for the first time ever in our lives we decided that we could leave our son alone in the house is the key to the story. Now my son is 19, has been away at college for a year, is 19, on the whole does what he ought to do, is 19.<br><br>So off we went. The first night, or rather morning, that we were gone, we got a phone call. At 3:30 a. m. From my son. He is 19.<br><br>Apparently the toilet was clogged. But that wasn't all. He had come home from work around 9 that evening, flushed, and then gone out, returning as he usually does, around 3:30 a. m. That's why he called at 3:30.<br><br>But the toilet had been overflowing since 9 or so.<br><br>So he was a little desperate: What do I do?<br><br>Fortunately, it was my wife who answered the phone. I think I know what I would have said in response to that question. She, on the other hand, told him where the shut off valve is, then suggested that he shut down the water flow. Then she suggested she mop up the water on the bathroom floor--use all the towels you can find, she said. Then of course stick 'em in the laundry to wash.<br><br>So he did as he was told. The next morning (this was Saturday), he called our plumber, a lovely man who came as if it were an emergency, and unclogged the toilet. For $110.<br><br>We stayed away for a couple more days. When we came back, this is what we found.<br><br>First, the ceiling of the dining room, which is more or less directly under the bathroom, was ruined. It'll cost some $700 to repair that.<br><br>The dining room rug was soaked. Taking it to the cleaners for TLC costs $150.<br><br>I went down to the laundry to wash our vacation clothes. Everything was fine . . . until the spin cycle, when nothing happened. I figured the clutch was broken again. But no, it was the transmission. Why? Well, my son (he's 19) had done as we told him: he washed the towels. All of them. At the same time. Repairing the washer? $295.<br><br>Cost for the four days we were gone (not including gasoline, treating our friends, etc.)? ca. $1,255<br><br>Being able to recount this a week and a half later? Priceless.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>