Pretty much yes. I don't see it so much as racism but more prototyping/stereotyping.<br><br>If the police want to get some sobriety arrests, they go to the common route between a bar and the residential neighbourhood - in the US south, that's typically an hispanic neighbourhood, in the UK that's the council housing - poor people who typically drink as entertainment.<br><br>If the police want revenue they turn to speeding motorists. If you're driving at 130mph they'll pull you no matter who you are or what you're driving. But if you're in generally flowing traffic that's 5mph over the speed limit, then you're a higher profile target if you're driving a nice car - Jaguar, Porsche will get pulled over a Ford Focus or Honda Civic.<br><br>If they just want more general arrests then they'll roust a few black kids, because stereotypically they'll get more hits - UK white skinheads are also a good target.<br><br>Maybe it does have a political bent, police departments are being judged more on results than they are on doing a good job - if they can improve arrest counts (regardless of underlying crime) and increase revenue then the politicians can report that the police are doing a good job - under their regime. Face it, it's easier to get a lazy arrest than it is to solve a crime - less man hours, more returns.<br><br>2 years back the Dallas police hit the hotel bars and arrested hotel guests who were over the drink/drive limit. Basically have you had a drink, blow into this, ok you're under arrest - but I'm a guest here, look here's my key, I don't plan to drive. The patrons spent the night in the drunk tank, more than a couple wives were arrested too. Needless to say that the hoteliers went ape at the council and that practice was quashed. There had been no prior complaints indicating that drunkeness in hotels was a problem or that drink driving was an issue - it was an easy arrest and the police could show "we're doing something about drunkeness".<br><br>I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.
I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.