bdog.<br><br>the way I understand it is that a Desktop file rebuild only happens through the "option command" restart process. The two files being rebuilt exist on the drives, and are thus being "rebuilt" by the Mac OS<br><br>but a recreation of those files happens when you use Tech Tool, ResEdit, etc. to trash those two files, so that the Mac OS isn't rebuilding them, but rather creating them because they don't exist....<br><br>The two processes have the same end result generally, but I wonder if the "distinction" isn't truly a distinctions anymore because of a reworking of the "rebuild" process under System 8, 8.1, 8.6, 9 or 9.1, or because the only real "distinction" was only semantic, and was created by commercial software companies to sell a product.<br><br>Does anyone have the knowledge/skill to know if the "distinctions" are truly distinctions, or just marketing speak?<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2