<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I guess you missed this part in my post:<br>So you could take that copy of any OS X release and install it on all of your macs, no matter what they were running (Tiger may have been different, you had to get a CD if you didn't have a DVD player and it may have required a little more in the hardware).<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes, I misread that. With Windows you need to buy a copy for each computer and those with more than one PC will pay more than a Mac user with multiple Macs. Of course, those with a single computer will see no difference. And again, that cost only applies to the move from XP to Vista, a single hit. But you're right, it's still a cost.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But if you want everything in Vista that you would get for OSX out of the box, that's another $152 for a total of $567.<p><hr></blockquote><p>It would appear that MS allows the customer to decide whether or not they need the bells and whistles and if not, to pay a lower price. That seems to be a better model than Apple's forcing you to pay for it whether you need the bells and whistles or not. But I suspect you'll disagree and you're entitled to your opinion.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>OSX only comes in 2 flavors: OSX client and Server.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Which you believe is an advantage, but others may see that as inflexible.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>$567 for 2 flaky OS's is not worth $645<p><hr></blockquote><p>Up until this point, I think you presented your arguments well, but the bit I bolded is simply rhetoric. I have seen no flakiness in XP and as Vista has yet to be used by either of us, we'll have to see if it's anything but stable. So far the magazine reviews suggest it's at least as solid as Tiger. We'll have to wait before we can judge the "flakiness" issue in Vista, but XP certainly doesn't qualify in my experience.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>3 years after the release of XP Pro, we finally get it. I guess we'll get Vista in 2010 or 2011.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Probably prudent. We're only now implementing Tiger on the studio Macs at work so I'd applaud a certain caution before rolling out any new OS variant in mission critical machines. Home computers are another story though.<br><br>But getting back to my original point, Windows, as your own figures show, is price competitive with OS X.<br><br>