Hard to know IMO.<br><br>Microsoft has traditionally not only beta tested their software products on the backs of users, but is known for their "trial balloons."<br><br>Sometimes they'll announce a change, invariably to their advantage (perceived or otherwise), then wait for reaction. If the reaction is especially negative they back off, if only temporarily.<br><br>I've always thought of it as pushing the "gripe envelope" to see what they can get away with next. As monopolistic power has grown, they obviously can shove things down the users' throats and get away with it more easily.<br><br>But even with today's market situation they've deferred on occasion. Whether this is due to a perceived short term lack of revenue is invariably hard to determine. While this *appears* to have happened in this case, with the U.S. and European markets (and others) not included in the new scheme, I submit one just never knows.<br><br>I agree that this is an idea Microsoft has been throwing around for years and would therefore appear to be inevitable, but, again, one just never knows.<br><br>It has always struck me that the monolithic monster that Microsoft has become doesn't always seem to achieve the internal agreement on major issues as easily as might otherwise be expected.<br><br>I quite honestly don't know if you are correct in your forecast or not. It *appears*, for example, that Mr. Bill & Co. have backed off certain aspects of .Net which were discussed or announced earlier. But one just never knows if the "planned" or "announced" ideas were serious or mere trial balloons, or even something in between.<br><br>I just don't know but won't be surprised by anything until (or "if" would be more appropriate) some action is finally taken to seriously impair Microsoft's monopolistic practices. Given the fact, in the face of the then continuing DOJ matter, Microsoft continued to implement some of the same old practices with XP one wonders if Mr. Bill & Co. think they can continue, indefinitely, to push the envelope or "innovate" unless something truly serious is done to curtail their activities (of whatever kind).<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br>"When in doubt, reboot" - CaseCom