I just wanted to say thanks for the nice Veterans Day page ... very classy, and very timely. Too often Veterans Day is sort of a non-holiday ... maybe it'll be different this year.<br><br>On Veterans Day I think of my grandfather, a lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Forces who piloted a B-17 over France during World War II. He survived the war, but just barely. In January 1944 his bomber was shot down over France, but he parachuted out and was given shelter by a French farmer. He escaped back to England with the help of the French resistance. He was a wonderful man, and I'm grateful for having the chance to get to know him. He died in 1989 at the age of 73.<br><br>His bomber was named the "Captain Joe" ... named after his brother, who was a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps and who was killed in the Battle of Midway in June 1942. He was in the squadron of outmoded and poorly maneuverable Brewster Buffalo fighter planes that were nearly annihilated by the much quicker Japanese Zero fighters.<br><br>