Optimize Classic<br><br>1. Startup from Classic's System 9.1 folder (I have it on seperate drive.)<br><br>2. Disable AppleTalk Control Panel and turn it off with Chooser, if applicable.<br><br>3. In Apple Menu Options turn OFF hierarchical menus and recent documents, apps, or servers (or disable AMO control panel).<br><br>4. With CC8 or Extension Manager duplicate the All 9.1 set. Leaving ATM active seems to have no effect. Be certain to disable some third party items such as Stuffit Engine which may be included (depending on mgr. used).<br><br>5. Restart into the All 9.1 System. Remove the entries of all fonts from font sets then add them back in.<br><br>6. Restart in OSX and rebuilt the Classic desktop from within OSX system prefs/classic controls.<br><br>7. Run xoptimize (command line) to prebind while Classic is running.<br><br>8. Restart from OSX CD (or other Startup disk such as a Zip 100 or 250) and run Disk First Aid 8.6.1 (or Disk Warrior 2.1) to repair both OSX and OS 9.1 drives, as needed.<br><br>Note 1: While I have OSX and OS9/Classic on two seperate drives you can simply substitute "partition" for "drive" in above.<br><br>Note 2: HFS+ formatting is definitely faster since 10.0.4.<br><br>Note 3: I rarely startup with CDs for any purpose. I have one Zip 250 disk with an OS 9.2.1 System folder on it and every utility I might conceivable use from the basic Apple to Disk Warrior, Norton, etc. incl. third party formatting utils. When something changes I just update the Zip and am not forever looking for my Retrospect, Tech Tools Pro or whatever CD. With 10.1 startup should not be selected from System Preferences if running X as it won't work (nor will any USB drive). Just use the Startup Manager, i.e., hold down the Option key while restarting and then select the Zip, USB, or whatever drive you want for a startup. If burning a CD for use as a "Utilities" startup disk, or making one from a Zip, just look at one or two startup disks from Norton, Dantz, or whatever, then throw away 2/3 of the control panels and extensions on those CDs. You don't need QuickTime, Open Transport, Open GL, Ethernet, or Internet related items, for example, to run utilities. Oh yes, you can also make a utilities startup disk with a SuperDisk drive. Use your imagination and avoid the old CD shuffle routine.<br><br>I haven't tried these steps with 9.2.1 yet, just 9.1, although there's no reason 9.2.1 should be different. These steps made a major difference with 10.0.4, less with 10.1 but are still worth while IMHO. All of the above steps aren't required. The more the merrier/Classic runs faster. Your mileage may vary.<br><br><br><br>128K_Mac<br> Microsoft free