<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>McCain's torture bill has a huge margin of support<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well that's because the McCain bill language is so open to interpretation.......<br><br>Is leather, handcuffs and whips degrading or innocent fun? Ask the guy coming out of a bordello and he'd probably pick the latter!!<br>I hear in some cultures that shouting at someone is considered cruel.<br><br>The thing is (each one of) you have a different gradient of what you consider to be cruel, what you consider to be degrading.<br><br><br>This last year the Texas legislature tried to pass a bill to outlaw suggestive cheerleader dances in school cheerleading groups. The trouble is that the courts pointed out you cannot enforce such a law because there is no definition of the term "suggestive dancing".<br><br>And you cannot enforce something with the phrase "I can't define it but I know it when I see it"<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Llewelyn on 12/20/05 07:23 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
I used to think it was terrible that life was unfair. Then I thought what if life were fair and all of the terrible things that happen came because we really deserved them? Now I take comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.