As parents to 4 children, my wife and I always discuss the level of independence we can gradually give them. I admit we are both protective or as some people say, over protective. However, for us to get a feel of where we stand in comparison to non-Saudi Arabian societies, wed like your kind comments on the following:<br><br>- At the age of 9 years old, we allowed the visit to some of the local stores a block away from home; alone. Anything farther than a block, in not allowed without either their mother or myself.<br><br>- At the age of 5 years old, we allowed the unattended preparation of sandwiches and snacks at the kitchen.<br><br>- At the age of 5 years old, we allowed to shower unattended. At 4 we would wait by the bathroom door to give help when requested.<br><br>- We still cannot allow them to go out using a bicycle or in-line skates, walking is ok though. That is due to the level of reckless driving in our neighborhood. <br><br>- We still cannot allow them to do gardening unattended.<br><br>Is that normal, protective, or over protective?<br><br>