<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Take into account the number of Macs in use, rather than how many are sold year after year. People don't throw away their computers as often as PC users.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm not sure how that helps Apple. Are you saying that they still earn revenue from that installed base? If so, how? <br><br>As people often repeat on these forums, Apple is first and foremost a hardware company, so the lion's share of its income is from selling new hardware.<br><br>If you're saying Apple can gain revenue from selling software to that huge installed base, then I have to disagree since the lastest and now only OS will not work on the majority of those machines, nor will the apps designed for the new OS.<br><br>So again, how does that help Apple?<br><br>This is where the problem lies for Apple right now. They need to drive sales to reverse the recent trend. <br><br>Perhaps your optimism is warranted and this is indeed just a temporary trough. And you're right; many times before Apple has been written off by people yet is still around today. Maybe I'm foolish to be concerned. But concerned I am, and I have yet to see anything in print that give a credible answer to the situation Apple finds itself in at this time.<br><br>And my apologies for the excessive number of cliches in the foregoing...at least I never said beleagured. <br><br>