Really there wasn't much more involved than that except this...<br>At the time of the vote Dean was coming on strong as the REAL Anti-War candidate. Dean's comment on the bill at the time was...<br>"if the president doesn't have a sufficient commitment to this operation to get rid of the $87 billion in tax cuts then we should vote no."<br>Kerry saw this and knew he was going to have to change his tune or Dean would gain momentum for the nomination since he was getting a lot of grass roots support and press support due to his anti-war stance. So the vote helped him in two ways. 1. Made him seem closer to the Dean ideology and 2. Bolstered his stance as anti-"Bush tax cut".<br>This was really the beginning, to me, of the Kerry becoming the anti-war candidate to try and take out Dean (which, of course, he did).<br><br>p.s. Don't forget, Edwards voted against it too for much the same reason.<br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003