<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There is one medium size banner at the top of every page...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Sure there are banners... for Spymac! I haven't seen any outside advertisers on that site yet. Apple tried the free thing with a helluva lot less space to offer than Spymac... and a wealthy company like Apple couldn't keep it going for free. What chance does Spymac have? I'm not trying to be a pessimist, nor do I wish the service to fail. I just don't think we should be jerking each other in ecstasy over the free services they offer. Maybe dropping .Mac for Spymac wouldn't be such a smart idea just yet. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Didn't you see the part about POP3 access? <p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes, but I think one of the driving forces behind Gmail is the portability, like all other web-based email services. The site has minimal graphics and can load quickly on any connection. Not so with Spymac... too many bells and whistles.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...but there is a difference (IMHO) about freely giving up information (e.g. here at MM) and someone taking it behind my back.<p><hr></blockquote><p>But Gmail isn't doing anything behind your back. They've made it known that ads are placed in emails based on the content of the message. Don't like it, don't use it. Just don't kid yourself into thinking you've got 100% privacy now. (And let us not flatter ourselves into thinking our emails are that interesting.)<br><br>