This is more of a story than a request for help, although I'd really really like to know if anyone has any idea what happened to my computer--so I end with a question.<br><br>First, the setup: a G4 400 MHz AGP, the first of that generation of Macs, with 384 MB of RAM . I'm hooked into a LAN running through a Netgear router and a Compex ethernet hub. The router is connected to a Verizon DSL account, and I have four computer running off the hub. I also have a USB hub and it connects an Epson 760, an AGFA Snapscan 1212u and a Kensington VideoCam. Finally I have a Sony Spressa burner connected to one of the firewire ports.<br><br>The HD is partitioned, with 9.1 on one partition and X and 9.1 on the second partition.<br><br>I usually run the computer 24/7, but last weekend I went away and turned it off. When I got back, on Tuesday, the computer started up OK at first--but the DSL connection was down. I connected to the web via a dial-up connection, read my email, and then a thunderstorm came up, so I turned the computer off.<br><br>Then, when I tried to boot up, but could not do it. The symptoms were a bit variable, but there were three main ways that the booting failed.<br><br>(1) The Mac OS 9.1 splashscreen would come up, and then the boot up process stopped.<br><br>(2) The extensions would start loading, but then the loading would stop.<br><br>(3) The desktop would come up, but then the mouse would freeze--first it would do some strange jumping around, then it would freeze.<br><br>What was really strange was that I could not boot up from any startup CD. I tried my DiskWarrior, my TechToolsPro, and finally the OS CD. Nothing, nada, nichts.<br><br>On the other hand, if I started up with extensions off, everything went OK.<br><br>I "solved" the problem by wiping the HD and reinstalling everything--a really painful thing to do, as you all can imagine. I actually worked out a way to boot from the CD, which involved starting up with extensions off, selecting the OS CD as the startup volume, then starting up from the CD with extensions off.<br><br>But now I'm wondering whether that was necessary. Here's why:<br><br>My son's iBook acted in very similar ways to the G4 on Tuesday night, while the DSL was still down. I didn't get around to working on the iBook until after I'd wiped my G4 and reinstalled most of my software late on Wednesday. By that time, the DSL was back up--and then the iBook had no problems.<br><br>So I'm wondering if it's possible that the ethernet connection's not being up affected the two computers in such a radical way. I didn't try to start up the other two computers, so they're no help in figuring out the problem.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear