First off, for those that have no intention of seeing this and have already made up your minds: bully for you. We get the point, now go away and be miserable somewhere else.<br><br>For those of you who are interested in seeing the movie...<br><hr><br>What else can I say but wow! Very, very, very powerful. Very moving and very brutal. The movie begins abruptly with no previews. I was kind of taken aback by that, but then again, no big studio would distribute this film... so they get no advertisements.<br><br>The film featured superb cinematography and acting. I like that the dialog wasn't in English. Though, if he wanted to go all the way, I wish Mel would've avoided the stereotypical look of Christ and the props. The music was competent... it seems Peter Gabriel set the bar for what Christ scores should be with his Passion soundtrack.<br><br>As for the violence. Ouch, you get lots of it. There's a scene in which Jesus is flayed with a multi-tipped whip with sharp pieces of metal at the ends. Now, I'm a horror and special effects nut, but even this scene had me wincing. They show the sharp edges ripping away at his flesh.<br><br>Throughout the movie, a creepy, androgynous devil keeps hovering around Jesus. I jumped a few times when faces would turn into demons. There are some definitely frightening moments.<br><br>Unfortunately, there was one scene I didn't like. During the telling of the story, we're treated to flashbacks of things that are related to the events that are unfolding in the main timeline. One of those is Jesus as a carpenter making a table. It's sort of suggested that Jesus invented the bar stool. Uh, yeah. I also could've done with less slow-motion shots of Jesus falling to the ground. There were about six too many.<br><br>Basically, this movie is 2 hours depicting the brutality of Christ's death, and little else. Through flashbacks, we get a glimpse of life beyond this final day. We were glued to our seats for two hours. For an 11:30am showing, the place was packed. But after 120 minutes, you may feel a bit drained. When the credits rolled, the audience just sat there, sort of stunned. And let me tell you, there wasn't a dry eye in the place for the last 1/2 of the movie. Tip: bring Kleenex.<br><br>If you're Christian, regardless of denomination, I think you'll enjoy the film. Also, the movie assumes you already know the story of Jesus. It doesn't tell you who he is or where he came from or how he got where he is in the film. Just remember, it does get brutal. I wouldn't recommend taking children under, say, 15. If you think the whole idea is proposterous... uh, why are you still reading? I told you to go away. GO AWAY!<br><br>And if you're geeky like me, you'll notice the subtitle font is Optima. If they would've used Arial.... <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sam on 02/25/04 02:21 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>