No doubt such speed would be of great help to people who travel great distances frequently. But what are the benefits to the majority of travellers?<br><br>From where I am, in the middle of North America, a flight to Europe runs about 7-8 hours. Bearing in mind that nobody wants a sonic boomer going off over their head on a regular basis, supersonic speeds will be limited, as they were with Concorde, to over the ocean. Meaning, that much of the speed advantage will be dissipated.<br><br>So let's say that, from where I sit, a couple of hours might be shaved off the European trip. Will it be worth the massive fuel-gobbling such a craft will require? What do I do with the two hours once I'm there? Sit out the extra time in a hotel, or perhaps I'll save it at the front end sitting in a traffic jam.<br><br>Concorde was in troble even before the catastrophe because the benefit of the extra speed was outweighed by the major drawbacks: noise, pollution and most of all, cost. Spend an extra couple of grand to save a couple of hours on a trans Atlantic flight? Maybe if you have Steven Speilberg's money, but not likely for regular folks.<br><br>John<br><br>